(Ten)

 




Oldest Daughter, 

I’ve blinked and here you are turning ten in a week. How did “we” get to two whole hands already! I didn’t actually think that I would be this emotional because I like you and the season that you are in. I find that you need me less physically, but need me more emotionally, and that’s where I like to nestle my way in. Know that when you come to talk to me, I do try my best to be what you need (what I needed at your age), but I still don’t always get it right. You are finding that with age comes hardship; that a growing body comes with its challenges too, and that friendship can be. So. Dang. Hard. I don’t want you to ever feel that you are being too sensitive or to simply “get over it” when your heart is hurting. But I also don’t want people taking you for granted or making you feel like you have to change in order to fit in. Most often, drama is a reflection of their heart. Continue to hold yourself accountable for only what is yours, forgive when you can, and walk away when it’s no longer right. 

Oldest daughter, 

We are very alike, but you are still your own person- entirely, completely, and fully. I know this, even when I lose sight of it. I know that separation from me is apart of adolescence and that the string that ties us together is starting to stretch and will only continue to as you keep growing stronger, smarter, taller, and older. I’m not ready yet to release you, but I know that eight years will fly by because we’re having fun. I hope that I will feel this then, what I’m only starting to figure out now, that your transition into womanhood will bring a new and an even better closeness between us. 

Oldest daughter, 

Play while you still can. Try new things while your imagination is still curious. And keep being kind. In Taylor Swift style, enjoy your double digit era my loving baby girl. 

You just keep getting better, 

Mom 

Comments