Standing Alone-


 Daughters, 

“Difficulty, solitude, and risk are the three things that all rites of passage have in common. It’s because putting ourselves in situations where we must do hard things that scare us without anyone there to intervene pushes us beyond what we previously thought ourselves capable of. It expands our perception of our own courage, strength, and endurance. It forges us out of who we were before into the person we will become.” 

-Cheryl Strayed 

I find myself in this state in real time as I transition out of my old life as a nanny and into the unknown. It’s hard. I like knowing, simply put. But what I’m finding is that the space in between is leaving me room to figure out what I want and who I am. My identity isn’t tied up in what I do for a living and yours won’t be either. I think in my old job I did that. I thought I was living for you six. No wonder by the end I felt lost. We all have to live our own lives. 

I hope you’ll realize too that standing alone doesn’t mean you have to be lonely- rather, it’s leaving room for you to find your own courage, strength, and endurance in the next opportunity and in whoever your becoming, 

Mom 

Comments