Body-

 

Daughters, 

“There are so many tiny revolutions in a life, a million ways we have to circle around ourselves to grow and change and be okay. And perhaps the body is our final frontier. It’s the one place we can’t leave. We’re there till it goes. Most women and some men spend their lives trying to alter it, hide it, prettify it, make it what it isn’t, or conceal it for what it is. But what if we didn’t do that?” 

-Cheryl Strayed 

I don’t have to add much here, and I’m okay with that! Isn’t this lovely?! There’s a reason why I find people like Cheryl to speak the truth here and that I need myself. 

I’ve talked about image before but I thought this, Cheryl’s words, would bring what I’m trying to feel myself- home to you both. 

I won’t pretend here that I haven’t struggled with my own body or that you two won’t either, but I want to express here that you can not be happy with your weight or certain body parts and still love yourself. 

I can only imagine the pressures you two will feel to alter yourself in order to feel beautiful in the years to come. This is unfortunately the aftermath of social media and just plain society. But choose to be different. Choose to take care of your bodies rather than alter them. Choose the red lipstick rather than the tanning bed. Choose the outfit that makes you feel good rather than the one the mannequin is wearing. Choose to go on a run or walk rather than cool sculpting. Choose to nourish your bodies as they are rather than skipping a meal. 

Cheryl had it right all along, what if we didn’t spend our lives “trying to alter it, hide it, prettify it, make it what it isn’t, or conceal it for what it is- 

What if we just loved ourselves as is, 

Mom 

Comments