Love-

 

Daughters, 

I can’t believe I’ve made it this far and I haven’t covered Love here yet! Perhaps it’s because love feels easy and complicated all at once for me. I have a tendency to love right away with no strings attached, only to often times have to retract and establish boundaries in order to protect my wellbeing. In fact, I’ve spent most of my life learning how to love myself. Learning to love myself that is, right where I am, and to lay the foundation of feeling worthy even in times of disparity. It’s been in the time that I have truly focused on loving myself though, that I’ve been able to truly heal from my past and open myself fully to you both and your dad especially. The rest of my relationships, I’m working on that… 

But Elizabeth Lesser is better at putting this whole love thing into words: 

“It is also about the kindness you must give yourself if you are to truly love another. Love of self, love of other: two strands in the love braid. I have braided these strands together in all sorts of relationships, in varying degrees of grace and ineptitude. I’ve messed up in both directions: being self-centered, being a martyr; not knowing my own worth, not valuing the essential worth of the other. To love well is to get the balance right. It’s the work of a lifetime. It’s art.” 

She goes on to say, 

“There is no ten-ways-to-get-it-right list when it comes to love. No exact formulas for when to be vulnerable and when to be strong, when to wait and when to pursue, when to relent and when to be a relentless love warrior. Rather, love is a mess, love is a dance, love is a miracle.” 


Your love is my miracle and we’ll do this dance together you two, 

Mom 

PS. Don’t wait to love yourself! 

(Quotes Taken From Marrow) 

Comments