Sacrifice-

 


“It’s not that we don’t want to be prayerful and hopeful and eager for positive changes in the other person’s life. But we don’t want to become so eager and overcommitted to their health that we stay under-committed to our own.” 

-Lysa Terkeurst 

Daughters, 

Oh girl(s), if there was a medal for people pleasing I think I would have gotten several gold ones by now. -You come from a long line of material genetics that tend to see the good in everyone (cue Pollyannaism) and while it’s not necessarily a terrible quality to have, it can be if it comes at the cost of yourself. Lysa goes on to say, 

“Drawing wise boundaries is me fighting for the relationship. Loosening my boundaries and enabling them to hurt the relationship and harm me isn’t helping them. I am not honoring Jesus when I give permission for the other person to act in ways that Jesus never would.” 

So what does that mean? Please don’t be like me (I say that a lot here) and be a sacrificial lamb for strong personalities, aka people in your life. I have had a tendency to tangle being loyal with enabling bad behavior with staying and not always speaking up. It’s something that I’m currently working on. 

My hope is that in the work that I’m doing now, I am not only sticking up for myself, that I’m also giving you both permission to implement this in your own lives but much sooner-

Mom 

Comments