The Right To Belong-

 


Daughters, 
“I’d always seen my ability to over function as a hard-won badge of honor. I saw needing less and succeeding in spite of my circumstances as strengths. I tolerated semi-abandonment to the point that I abandoned myself. I didn’t get what I needed because I didn’t allow myself to know I needed it.” 
-Cy Wakeman 

I’ll start by saying that I’m proud of who you both are and your personalities. I know that as you grow, you both will mature and change throughout your circumstances. The other part I know is, that for whatever reason we tend to be the exceptions quite often. And if you both can already feel that in Elementary school, I know that more situations will arise with people that tend to try and walk all over you. 

It’s as if I wrote the above quote in real time. Here I am in my mid-thirties and I have found myself in the position to want to change. Change in the sense that self-abandonment and silently suffering are no longer on the menu or the badge to be earned. And I hope by the time you both find yourself feeling this way too, that I can lead from a place of doing “it” another way. I’m determined to function another way. Cy goes on to say, 
“Life is full of challenges, but none is greater than to find your way out of self-abandonment. You have the capacity to heal your wounds, to claim your voice, to acknowledge your worth. You have the right to belong just by being you. You have the right to shatter narratives that keep you stuck or tempt you to play small.” 

And because she can say it better, I will leave you with those words. Remember: you have the right to belong just by being you. Gather your tribe of truth tellers. Know that you are always worthy, 
Mom 


Comments