Life-

 


Daughters, 

Remember this: 

“You can live your life worrying about what people think of your life, or you can live your life. And I realized that sometimes I was living my life being concerned about the perceptions of it. I sort of had this epiphany: I have a choice.”   

-Hoda Kotb 

I too have had this epiphany. But I’m afraid it took me turning 30 before I just had enough with trying to please others with my own life choices. I think it also took disappointing others without really trying for me to realize that even though I truly hate that feeling, letting myself down is so much worse. 

So much of what I write here is from my own experiences, but I want you to take only what works for you both. You may find that you won’t really struggle with what Hoda and I are talking about, and that’s okay too. But if you are more introverted, easily guilted or shamed by others, and a general people-pleaser than please take control before your 30’s! You can be those things and still stay true to yourself; well, not the people-pleasing part but you get what I mean. 

You’ll find someday that you may have to stick up for your choices. But what I have found is that most people that judge or make you feel bad about your life are really the ones struggling in their own life. 

There’s an adage that’s says:  hurt people, hurt people. And I would also add, struggling people or scared people, judge or shame people. 

When you stay true to what you know, what you need, what you love than it’s so much easier to be a cheerleader for others to do the same. You slay the comparison dragon. Contentment on what you do, wear, say, love will translate to a much happier life. Life can be hard on its own, don’t make it more complicated by not living out your true self- 

Be your own life’s artist, 

Mom 

Comments