Meaningful Connections-



 “As my husband and I support our kids in learning how to cultivate meaningful connection with the people in their lives, we’ve always told them that good friends aren’t afraid of your light. They never blow out your flame and you don’t blow out theirs- even when it’s really bright and it makes you worry about your own flame. When something good happens to you, they celebrate your flame. When something good happens to them, you celebrate their flame. To illustrate, we’d have our kids hold their hands out, palms flat open, and say, “If this is your flame and the wind picks up, good friends cup their hands around your flame to prevent it from going out. And you do the same for them.” -Brene Brown 

Daughters, 

I love everything about this quote and then some- 

As I couldn’t think a better way than this to kick off the new year with its first post of 2022. I hope by the time you are reading this that you have felt this and have especially done it. This world and relationships in general (especially friendships) need more cheerleaders and far less critics or coaches! I hope that you feel loved and supported with others beyond just myself or your dad. And if you don’t, they’ll come. I’ve been fortunate to have this myself in different times in my life, and there have been moments when I haven’t. I’ll be honest, though it doesn't always feel good, you won’t regret being the protector of flames and especially your own even when standing alone in that role. Meaningful connections are worth fighting for; and they come in all different shapes and sizes; or in other words, different ages, sexes, and races. I’m pickier of who I let in and I hope you are too. Choose the connections that feel like sunlight, 

Mom 

Comments