Compassion-

 Daughters,


Pema goes on to say, “In cultivating compassion we draw from the wholeness of our experience- our suffering, our empathy, as well as our cruelty and terror. It has to be this way. Compassion is not a relationship between the healer and the wounded. It’s a relationship between equals. Only when we know our own darkness well can we be present with the darkness of others. Compassion becomes real when we recognize our shared humanity.” 

Isn’t this just one of the most loveliest quotes of all time! It sounds dramatic, but it really brings comfort and heals. What I mean by that is, so much of my past was not just scars on me mentally, but also in a way like ghosts following me around. Now I see what I have gone through as part of my compassion towards others. My wisdom for empathy. There is no way I could be there for someone else or even you both and call it shared humanity if I myself have never suffered. What I have gone through has changed me and hopefully for the better- right?! 

While im still a natural fixer at heart, I'm learning to sit in the darkness of your pain rather than try and fix it physically or especially with my words (which is very hard as a momma, just saying). While we will share some of the same experiences, I know that what you will go through will be unique to you and that I can’t take away what you are feeling by acting like the healer. We are equals. 

I’m not looking forward to the hard parts of life that will grow along side of you both (Elementary school is just the beginning, I’m afraid), but my compassion will grow along side of you both too-

Mom 

Comments