Mistakes-

 Daughters, 


As a recovering perfectionist, I’m trying desperately to show you both that mistakes aren’t meant to be feared. I want you both to grow up learning from your mistakes and continuing to try. Too often we let shame or the fear of mistakes get in the way of the lesson, or simply just doing to begin with. As Greg Mckeown says, “Instead of shaming yourself for hitting your serve into the net, celebrate the fact that you’re on the court to begin with.” 

I love this because it very much covered what my sports experiences were like; I used to tell myself after every game to just leave the field knowing I did my best. It forced me to be at peace with my performance as a soccer goalie and to get a better picture of what I could do better as a whole the next time, instead of beating myself up for every little thing I did wrong. Now I just need to apply it to every day life! Practicing and trying do not have to stay on the “field” in other words- 

My hope for you both is that you don’t let thinking you have to do it right the first time hold you back. I always remind myself when I’m tripping over my mistakes to this thought-

Every professional started as a beginner, 

Mom 

Comments