Dating & Sex-

 Daughters, 

We are just jumping in now aren’t we?! This is a subject that as your momma I wish I could avoid forever! Let’s be honest, it’s a subject that you both probably wish we didn’t have to discuss together either, but it’s one of the most important topics and something that can easily make you feel alone in or shamed for. I will be sharing my thoughts on this from a Christian mother’s perspective, but know that I also come from a place of woman in general. I realize that while I will share many of the same experiences someday, both dating and sex will be your decisions alone. Before I get to the quote I wanted to share, I wanted to get to some of my own thoughts first. 

Your body is yours! Never let yourself be pressured into doing anything with your body that you are not okay with. Know that sometimes others will or can hurt you, so it’s okay to be sensitive, smart and hyper aware of where and who you associate with. If you do get hurt, never blame yourself or shame yourself into silence. It’s also okay not to like someone else who may like you. Again, you get to decide what you want (with your parent’s guidance too). Before graduating high school I will not put pressure on dating (maybe not even allow it 😉) period. You will have your entire adult life to find who you are meant to be with. In a world obsessed with sex, it’s meant to be something worth waiting for and not just blindly given away. If waiting until marriage is what is important to you, be careful what situations you put yourself in. Know, that when you really care for someone else, it can be hard not to let feelings take over. Especially in the moment. Your truth is what matters!

“But in His presence, we must submit to God’s truth about our sexuality rather than succumb to the whims of our feelings. Every sexual choice is also a spiritual choice. By faith, you can choose to deny any feelings that don’t line up with the Truth, reject every lie about your identity, and accept your new identity as the image bearer you were created to be. Be washed, my dear friend. Be sanctified. Be justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and accept your identity as a beloved child of God. That is who you are.” 

-Dannah Gresh 

This feels odd putting this out there- now, while you both are so little. But I know in my momma gut that this day will come before I know it, and dating will be what is on both of your minds. Perhaps, one of the only things! Know, that I will be right here then and we can talk about this more, 

Mom 

Comments