Brave-

Daughters, 

"Brave doesn't always involve grand gestures. Sometimes brave looks more like staying when you want to leave, telling the truth when all you want to do is change the subject."

-Shawna Niequist 

I cant think of a better word than brave to start out the new year. I feel like brave is such an important thing to not only talk about here, but to also show you both out there. Brave feels like such a daring thing to do right now because so much of 2021 is still unknown. Will it look and feel like 2020 did?! Can I handle it if it does?! However, the concept of being brave is beyond just this new year and the pandemic. Being brave is something you both have only taken baby steps in; but nevertheless, have already blown me away by how courageous you are. But, if I'm being honest, I hope to make you understand that there's two sides to bravery. More than just handling stiches like a boss! Or, handling the first days of school. Bravery is a lot of times much quieter. Being brave as you grow, will be missing out and saying no. No to underage drinking. No to drugs. No to the wrong friends. And even no to a job promotion that would bring in more money but will take you away from time at home. Or, it's owning to your mistakes. Telling the truth when the consequence is unknown. I guess my point here is, that being brave doesn't always mean diving in head first, or doing the loudest and most daring choice. Being brave can be those things, but not doing something, even if it's a good thing (but not right for you), is often times just as daring. I'd argue, even more so. 

My wish for you both is that as you live out your lives, may you always be brave-

Mom

Comments