Choosing-

 Daughters,

I briefly mentioned in the last post about letting you guys decide what you want to do with your time. I am serious about that. And, I'm referring to sports, hobbies, education, and in the workforce. These writings are in no particular order here, but I felt that this topic was one that I felt especially responsible to put out there. 

Looking back, soccer in many ways saved my life. I was awkward and quiet; often mistaken for weird because I sort of just blended in and couldn't be figured out. I was only outspoken about two things really, my christianity and answers to questions. Neither register on the cool factor when your in grade school. I believe that kids are conditioned by adults to often label, because they do. Adults are always trying to uncomplicate life by organizing people and stuff! Anyways, I didn't fall into any box, in fact, I still don't. But standing out wasn't cool back then, and I'm sure in many ways that hasn't changed much. I didn't have the confidence to own being different, but my wish for you both- is that you do! -Soccer for me was something that came easy. It perhaps was the talent God blessed me with. I accidently fell into the goalie position, or maybe it chose me, and anyways, I became a leader and finally stood out, but in a positive way. I'm rambling here, but its to tell you that I want you to find yours. Soccer for me was a way to escape and finally fit in. It was the place that gave me the confidence that I lacked outside of the field. It brought me friendship. It was what kept me from addictions and partying. If you chose the same sport as me of course I'll be thrilled. But I am writing you this to say, that I just want you to have something. Pick a sport, or art, music, a club- anything constructive. Whatever you choose, many many things even, will be a wonderful way to make friends and prepare you for life outside of school. Please apply this for college and in the workforce too. 

You will feel so much pressure in your high school years for life after you graduate. I hope that you will have the tools needed to help you make those tough decisions and to ease some of the anxiety. But know that I am always here and will support you. 

Shauna Niequist writes,

Some of us are made to be faster, and some slower, some of us louder, and some quieter. Some of us are made to build things and nurture things. Some of us are made to write songs and grants and novels, all different things. And I'm finding that one of the greatest delights in life is walking away from what someone told you you should be in favor of walking toward what you truly love, in your own heart, in your own secret soul. 

It's so beautifully said and her truth is the truth I am hoping to store deep inside you. I want you decide for yourself when the time comes. Both of you. Your passions may be something that you can study and then get paid for; but if not, it is something that you can keep alongside you at all times, refueling you. Please choose a college that makes you feel comfortable. College in general will challenge you, so the last thing I want is for you to hate it! Choosing a job may be an even greater challenge. But promise me, that your salary wont be the loudest voice in the decision factor. 

Shauna goes on to say, 

What's changing everything for me is a new understanding that we get to decide how we want to live. We get to shape our days and our weeks, and if we don't, they'll get shaped by the wide catch-all of "normal" and "typical," and who wants that? 

I hope her words have your ears ringing by now. One thing I want to say quick before I go is, your life will change. You will evolve over the course of your life. Your needs will too. You may choose a profession that fuels you for life, or what once did, may no longer serve you. 

-But don't be afraid to keep defining what makes you happy,

Mom

Comments